Good Morning Campers. I write this, sitting in my easy chair, Friday night. Looking forward to next week I see a lot of things going on for me.
For instance, right now, while you’re reading this, I’m probably at work, trying to get things ready for another UTA weekend. This is only an alternate UTA (UTA stands for Unit Training Assembly, or a weekend when the reservists have duty) so I’ll only have to work on Saturday, and end up Sunday off.
Then on Monday I’m out of town again for four days…Monday thru Thursday, in Indianapolis. Now, those of you who know where Grissom is also probably know that Indianapolis is only an hour and a half away, so why go away? Because once you add 3 hours travel time per day to a ten hour class room schedule, it becomes too much. Indiana Homeland Security (the group putting on the class I will be taking) have decided that anything over 50 miles away and you can stay in a hotel for the three nights you will be there. So, I’ll be in a hotel for three nights. The nice thing is that maybe I’ll get to see some of my kids or grandkids while I’m there.
What class am I going to be in?
I’m taking FEMA’s L449 Class. Or what’s also known as the ICS 300/400 Train-the-Trainer class. Okay, now for the acronyms…FEMA is Federal Emergency Management Agency and ICS is Incident Command System. Basically we are going to be taught how to teach controlling and working through emergencies.
Yeah, it’s not even near as interesting as it sounds and it sounds pretty bad.
But that’s my week coming. I’ll try and stay in touch and maybe even post a couple of little updates here and there. But, in the mean time, while I’m busy working, you guys need to be busy laughing…so….
Illegal immigrants are boycotting Arizona by the thousands, showing their outrage with Arizona ‘s controversial new SB-1070 law by moving elsewhere.
In the small town of Guadalupe , AZ, south of Phoenix , Manuel Renaldo is one of those who is punishing Arizona by leaving. As he loaded his stolen car with his stolen belongings and family of ten, Renaldo told this reporter through an interpreter “It’s a matter of principle; I refuse to be supported by a state that treats me like a criminal!”
The effects of the exodus are being felt by Arizona retailers, who are reporting dwindling sales of beer, spray paint, and ammunition. Also hit hard are the state hospitals, which have reported a dramatic decline in births and emergency room visits. Tattoo parlors are in a state of panic.
Renaldo told a reporter through an interpreter that he and his family are moving to Illinois, a democratic state with high taxes where hard working people will support him and his family with dignity!
Kind of brings a tear to your eye, doesn’t it ?
For some of us…and we know who we are, we have had a love affair with airplanes since we were little boys (okay, and for some of you, little girls, but I’ll bet there’s more boys). It’s actually the whole reason I joined the Air Force way back when I was 18. Well, here’s a beautiful old lady…with a wonderful story. Thanks to Dad for sharing!
The Oldest Boeing Airliner in Flying Condition
The four passengers are in two closed cabins and the lone pilot is in an open cockpit — maybe so the cold air will make him stay awake!
After eight years of repair and rebuilding and 8,000 hours of toil the Boeing 40C rolled out last winter as a finished airplane.
Facts for the Boeing 40 project:
The airplane weighs 4,080 lbs empty and has a gross weight of 6,075 lbs.
Wing loading is 10 lbs per sq ft and power loading is 10 lbs per HP.
It should cruise at 115 mph using 28 GPH and 32 GPH at 120 mph.
Over 221 gallons of dope/reducer and 120 yards of 102 ceconite fabric; twelve gallons of polyurethane paint for the sheet metal; and three-hundred-and-fifty 2″ brushes were used to apply six gallons of West Systems epoxy.
One-hundred-eighty-one rolls of paper towels were needed for cleanup.
There were a total of 62 volunteers who worked on the project to some degree. Twenty-one of the volunteers did a significant amount of the work and nine of the volunteers worked continuously during the eight-year project.
Now you’ve got to admit, that’s a pretty lady…
Anybody remember when Jerry Lewis did this? Am I showing how old I am? Okay, so it’s good and worth watching….and remember, you can only see it on the website…so go to http://dragonlaffs.com
And since we’re doing videos, here’s one for the adults from Denis Leary called, “Kiss My Ass” which the Leprechaun sent to me…kinda think he’s trying to tell me something.
From PBS, a study of Lego Art. Well worth the watch. Thanks to Lynn for sending this one in. Easy enough to watch right here! But of course, you need to go to the website…our website (http://dragonlaffs.com) to view it.
And a story that’s not so funny. This is being sent around by lots of different law enforcement agencies. Please take heed!
Kids are putting Drano, tin foil, and a little water in plastic drink bottles and capping it up – leaving it on lawns, in mail boxes, in gardens, on driveways etc. just waiting for you to pick it up intending to put it in the rubbish, but you’ll never make it!!!
RESCUED BY SUBMARINE, FILM FOUND 65 YEARS LATER
RESCUED BY SUBMARINE Hope you can bring up the video.
To find the film after 65 years is amazing enough, but for the plane to crash right near the sub…. God would have to have
been looking out for those young men. Read the short note before viewing the clip. IT’S AN AMAZING STORY and worth
watching… About 2.5 minutes.
An entire crew of a B-29 — 12 aviators — was rescued by a US submarine after their plane was shot down in 1945, 70 miles
off the coast of Japan. The entire rescue was filmed in color video, but sat in a guy’s closet until now.
This is a story from a Denver TV station of one of those rescued aviators to whom the video was delivered. It also shows
their transfer to another submarine that is likely headed back to port before the one that accomplished the rescue.”
Can you imagine 65 years AFTER your own rescue, You get to watch it on film?
Another wicked cool video!!!!
Riding the Booster with enhanced sound
From the upcoming Special Edition Ascent: Commemorating Space Shuttle DVD/BluRay by NASA/Glenn a movie from the point of view of the Solid Rocket Booster with sound mixing and enhancement done by the folks at Skywalker Sound. The sound is all from the camera microphones and not fake or replaced with foley artist sound. The Skywalker sound folks just helped bring it out and make it more audible.
As they say in East Tennessee:
“Y’all can’t get the water to clear up,
Until you get the turd out of the creek.”
Only in AMERICA — Top Ten
1) Only in America could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000 a plate campaign fund raising event.
3) Only in America could we have had the two people most responsiblef or our tax code, Timothy Geithner, the head of the Treasury Department and Charles Rangel who once ran the Ways and Means Committee, both turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.
4) Only in America can we have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that
muslims might be harmed by the backlash.
5) Only in America would we make people who want to legally becomeAmerican citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege while we discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just become American citizens.
6) Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country’s Constitution be thought of as extremists.
7) Only in America could you need to present a driver’s license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.
8) Only in America could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company(Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes(Nike).
9) Only in America could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it has per year for total spending of $7 million per minute, and complain that it doesn’t have nearly enough money.
10) Only in America could the rich people who pay 86% of all income taxes be accused of not paying their “fair share” by people who don’t pay any income taxes at all.
Okay, how about …
11) Only in America could the president tell an entire nation that their best and brightest, the hard-working, self-made, business men and women, entrepreneurs, of true pioneering spirit, didn’t do it themselves.
or how ‘bout…
12) Only in America can an elected official suggest you cremate your loved ones upon their passing, because it’s much less expensive…but NOT because times are hard and money is scarce, but so that you might donate the money you saved to HIS election campaign! (You have NO IDEA HOW MUCH this topic chaps my big fat dragon ass!!!!) (I’m so pissed I can’t even write about it!!!) Okay, so maybe with K²’s help I can pull it off…..here’s Karl’s write up..
Now he is calling for donors to forgo an expensive funeral and cremate loved ones which is much less costly and donate the difference to his reelection campaign. Yes, skip the casket, the grave site, the burial vault and cremate your loved one to show how much you want Obama reelected.
This disgusting infection on America has to go and this new low for the idiot in chief is just one more of a list of tens of thousands of reasons to get Obama out of office!
I’ve got to second K²’s sentiment. We have got to get this guy out of office. Our country can’t take four more years of this bull shit!