Update to this morning’s post

Good Afternoon campers,
I’m not sure how to go about this, but maybe if I just start writing, and telling the story, the words will come and all will be well.
I was taken to the hospital last night by ambulance.
Yeah, it really doesn’t come out well, no matter how you say it.
Anyway, last evening I started feeling poorly and thought my blood sugar was dropping so I checked it and found it pretty low.  For those of you who aren’t conversant in diabetes here’s a fast lesson:
High blood sugar can cause long term damage to many of the organs in your body, to your extremities and eventually, an early and quite painful death.  It is generally believed that at 200 mg/dl most of the population with diabetes are causing themselves some sort of physiological problems.  Although some are being hurt at levels of 150 or even less.
80 mg/dl to 120 mg/dl is considered “normal”.  Most diabetics try VERY hard to keep it at 100 but are normally pretty happy if it’s under 130.  Usually there are no adverse problems from being too high or too low at this point.
60 mg/dl to 70 mg/dl low blood sugar symptoms.  Sweating, shaking, lightheadedness, nausea, and other symptoms usually personalized to the individual.
40 mg/dl to 60 mg/dl worsening symptoms.  To possibly include unconsciousness and seizures
Below 40 mg/dl extremely dangerous.  Can include diabetic coma and death at very low levels.

Well, when I felt mine was getting low, as I went to check it my symptoms got very bad, very fast.  The reading on the meter said 26 mg/dl.  I texted my wife (she being on the other end of the cave complex) “Help” and immediately started putting sugar in my mouth.  Anything sweet I could find.  Two minutes later she took over that task and I took my blood reading again… 23 mg/dl.  Well, to make a very long and scary story short, I ended up at the hospital, in the Emergency Room and for all intents and purposes should’ve been in a coma.

There are many other things involved in this problem, including the FMS, the deteriorating spine and hips and others.

Things are going to be slow to pick back up again.  In the mean time, bear with us, have patience and understanding and know that we are doing the best that we possibly can.

Until tomorrow my friends,

Impish

18 Responses to Update to this morning’s post

1. Richard Beeler says:

Imp – I’m so sorry & very frightened for you. I want you to know that you are in my thoughts & I’m wishing you a SPEEDY recovery. Please start taking better care of yourself……I’m pretty sure that if you had been more careful, this wouldn’t have happened. 😉

Old Country Boy’s younger brother

2. wizard1952 says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope all turns out well and that you”ll be back and good as new soon.

3. Dale says:

Dear Impish –

Will keep you in my prayer’s. Take care of yourself and hope you are doing better soon. So thankful that your wife was there to help you.

4. Peter says:

I hope you learned something from this episode. Like … what caused it?

Usually us diabetics remain in a reasonable range if we are careful, but occasionally the body goes berserk. I had an episode recently and believe it was caused by excessive exercise.

For me however, any exercise is excessive 🙂

I believe that if we don’t use all the insulin we are taking, the body stores it up and eventually “overflows” and causes us to have a hypo.

5. Steve Hodges says:

Thank Goodness you’re ok. Dude, take care of yourself, I love your material and would miss your wonderful sense of humor

6. toni says:

“Dittos” to all that was said above. I ass u me you have glucose tablets all around you, no matter where you may be. If not, please send me your snail mail addy and I’ll send bunches to you. My husband recently passed away and I must have 5 or 6 unopened bottles of tablets. OJ is second best. Been there, done that. My husband usually had about a two minute warning before going hypoglycemic, do you?
    Big HUGS,
    toni

7. Jeannie says:

Oh boy. You BETTER take it easy, Bob. That is quite a scare. We just went through this with Dad about two weeks ago. His level dropped to 25. It’s a miracle he (and you) did not go in to a coma. You and your family are in my prayers. Please, please take it easy. This is serious shit!

8. sharon m says:

Iam very glad your getting better. I very much appericate everything you and lethal do. Thank You

9. doug muncy says:

Good luck w/ your recovery. Gods speed

10. dave hammack sr says:

hang in there will be praying fur you

11. Kent says:

I hope you get better soon. You will be in my prayers!!!!!!!

12. Tom says:

Don’t blow the myth! Dragons live forever! Ok, we know better and you probably are thinking that you take good care of yourself. So did I until my back got so bad I couldn’t walk. Then a new hip and then a second hip that took 3 times to get right. Now more surgery and I still hate the doctors.
    Do what you can to be healthy but don’t die in a bubble because you have to give up everything. I say slow down and enjoy the pizza and laugh with the kids. Don’t work yourself to death. I quit working because it was killing me and now I don’t have any money but I feel better and I can eat and drink and smoke what I want and spend happy times with the kids and grandkids. Too much work and doctors will get you everytime. Does that make any sense at all? DRAGONLAFFS IS THE BEST!!!

13. Jane Bishop says:

As a fellow diabetic (type 2), I can relate. My prayers and best wishes for the best recovery and that ‘good healthy long term maintainence’ we all strive for … just take it one-day-at-a-time and before you know it, you’ll be on your feet again.

14. You are lucky to be alive. You learned the hard way you can’t fool with blood sugar.
    Be a good boy, now, and eat when you should, take your meds and listen to your doctor. You used up one of your lives and I don’t know how many you have left….sometimes I think we are like cats and have nine lives. I know because I cheated the Grim Reaper three times and I’m still here. We care about you and love you, Be a good boy!!
    DON’T FOOL AROUND WITH THE GRIM REAPER!!

15. kkanalz says:

Indeed, Imp, I’m so very happy you’re still with us (and with the Mrs. Dragon at the back of the cave)! OMG, this would be a terrible world without you to put a smile on my (our) face(s).

Take it easy for a while — at least, as long as you can stand to do so — and let that Lethal Guy hold the reins for a while.

K-Squared

16. Kris says:

Oy .. you need to start taking better care of yourself!! Hope you feel better soon. :o)

17. Toffiffeezz says:

OMGoldfish!!!!!! That is very frightening! Thankfully the Mrs was home to help until the ambulance arrived. Will keep you in my thoughts. Please Please PLEASE get some rest, and get healthier! We can’t afford to lose you!

18. lynn fux says:

Dammit Impish,you better start making your health the #1 priority of your life!!!!!!My father and about 1/2 of my family are insulin injecting diabetics,NO LAUGHING MATTER. You must have scared Mrs. and IZZY half to death!!!!!!!! Nect pic of The head Dragon better be at least 20 lbs thinner,!!!! You are well loved dammit it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111